Monimail Community Council- Minutes of meeting, 6th October 2008

  1. Present : A. Arbuckle; D. Dallas; G. Evans; M. Farrell; S. Farrell; T. Farrell; W. Fenton;  B. Forrest; J. Gardiner; J. Gardiner; J. Gordon; P. Gray; M. Grossert; L. Harvie;  W. Henderson; M. Kidd; H. Laidlaw; P. Laidlaw; J. Pretzel; J. Rotheram;  G. Smith; J. Vaughan;  C. Gilbert (Fife Council)

2. Apologies : C. Bache; J. Fairley; H. Grant; D. Hamilton; A. MacGilchrist; T. Nesbi

3. Minutes of Previous Meeting : accepted

4. Matters Arising

Letham Toll : BEAR Scotland : no update specifically regarding the junction.

Holes being dug last week along the bottom of the Park were to do with drainage issues.

The large “plinth” recently constructed further along the main road towards Fernie is for a large sign for “Tay Bridge Warnings” and not a lay-by as originally hoped!

The footpath between Letham Toll and Ballantager is on the list to be tidied up, along with the kerbs at the bottom of the Village

–          Bow of Fife Speed : no update.

–          Whinney Park : water has now stopped!

–          Monimail Cemetry : this was apparently done however it is not the case! A new “job” request has been submitted so will be done soon.

–          Drains : There is only one “gulley clearance” vehicle in NE Fife however another one is being brought in and the work should be done this month. Also, the gulley at the top of School Brae is needing cleared. It was stated that as this is an unadopted road then it cannot be dealt with by Fife Council. The Village response to this was that the Council service the School and there are also Council Owned flats up there!

–          School Brae Parking : Not an issue currently

–          20mph Zone : A “double strip” survey has been present half way up The Row in the last week so hopefully we will receive some results soon. It was commented that it would be nice if drivers would actually stick to the 20mph limit on School Brae! Apparently such a limit is only advisory and not enforceable!

5 Treasurer’s Report : The account balance stands at just over £1569 with the “per capita” grant of £267 received. We still have to spend the Floral Enhancement Grant from last year –

– Mower to be looked at

– Money to be used for tubs at Monimail

– Tub for the corner of the Hall Car Park to be purchased. This will prevent Council Refuse  Lorries from ruining the grass when they collect the recycling bins!

6 Planning :

Again nobody from Fife Council Planning were able to attend the meeting however they have assured us that they will send a representative to the December Meeting. They have requested an advance list of the issues we have so they can be prepared with the correct advice. This will be sent to them well in advance of the next meeting, to include the various “home improvements” that have been carried out within the Village without Planning Permission.

– Bakehouse :

Concerns raised over the apparent height of the works being carried out – Planning were contacted and have been out to look at the roof-line – it does conform with the approved plans.

There has been a request for a change to the Planning Consent to allow the use of xxx stone rather than natural stone. The various submissions were read out and they appear to centre on the finacial side of the project. The overall feeling from those present at the meeting was that surely the developer would have realised the costs involved and budgeted accordingly?

Such a material change surely is making a mockery of the whole planning process and although a few present raised concerns over the potential viability of the project being in jeopardy if not allowed to change, it was agreed that the CC write to Planning to object to the request.

– Tree Preservation Orders :

A map outlining all the trees we wished to have TPO’s on is to be re-done to outline specific trees in the Village. Also need to establish what protection such an order would actually give. It was stated that there was an objection raised in 2002 regarding the removal of healthy trees around the Bakehouse area when the original plans were submitted!

– Tremlins :

The CC have been informed of a possible request for the Planning Envelope to be extended to include the Tremlins when the Local Plan is due to be finalised early 2009. The area was purchased a few years ago after planning permission for 4 houses in the area was turned down. The local plan is due to be reviewed early next year and the request would be that the area is extended to allow a better opportunity for one house to be built in the area. The proposal would also include donating an area of the woodland to the village.

Potential benefits could be :

School Brae itself / access would need to be improved as a condition of Planning

Would help parking issues at the top of the village as a number of cars would then  park up behind any new house

The Community Council were being informed of this to give plenty of notice and time to think about any benefits this would bring to the village, rather than being “sprung” on everyone at the last minute. It is good also to gauge Community feeling on this.

It was commented however that such an alteration would be setting a very dangerous precedent as what is to stop other developers requesting further alterations? Eg The Row, improved School Brae could open up options for the field out behind the houses on Monimail Rd etc

  1. 7. Village Hall Report :

The Grant applications for Double Glazing have been submitted – special thanks were offered to Ian Smith who spent a lot of time & effort obtaining the relevant planning authorisation and quotes.

There is a Gardener’s Question Time scheduled for 17th October

The resident of the Corner House at The Toll junction has offered that any events being advertised in the corner of their property.

  1. The Secret Garden : has recently received a national award for outstanding outdoor play
  1. 9. Playpark :

All Community discussions are complete and all quotations for work are in. There will be a total cost of around £60000 for equipment and various funding sources are being applied for, including money from the Secret Garden and hopefully Fife Environment Trust. As the planned shelter in below the required height, Planning Permission is not required, however the Gas Board still have to be contacted regarding any works being carried out close to the Gas Main that runs under the area.

It is hoped that all funding would be in place to have the work carried out by Summer 2009 – plans of the proposals were circulated for all present to view.

Concerns were raised from the floor regarding the amount of money being spent when the village has relatively few children, however it was pointed out that the development was planned for all ages. Fife Council are fully committed to this project and are willing to be responsible for the equipment maintenance.

  1. 10. Community Woodland : Nothing to report

11.        Questions :

– Planning Permission for the area created for the bridge sign on the main road – not required by BEAR apparently!

– The fields either side of the “Bow Road” are badly flooded. This has never been as bad as it has been recently and even without much rain the level appears to rise. Is this is nay part due to the nearby quarry works having an effect on the water table?  Cllr Arbuckle to make enquiries

12.        Date of Next Meeting : Monday 8th December 2008, Letham Village Hall, 7.30pm

WHAT’S ON

DECEMBER 2008 ISSUE

** LETHAM NIGHTS

LETHAM VILLAGE HALL

FRIDAY 12th DECEMBER 2008

See attached Leaflet

**

** COFFEE MORNING

(IN AID OF HALL FUNDS)

SATURDAY 20th DECEMBER

LETHAM HALL

10AM – 12NOON

(RAFFLE DRAWN 11.30AM)

TEA/COFFEE & MINCE PIES

**

** NEW YEAR DANCE

LETHAM VILLAGE HALL

THURSDAY 1ST JANUARY 2009

7.30pm – Late

BYOB & Nibbles

STRICTLY TICKET ONLY – FIRST COME FIRST SERVED

TICKETS FROM SATURDAY 6th DECEMBER

from JULIET GORDON  (810298)

**

**    BELLY DANCING TASTER

Fancy trying something new for the New Year?

LETHAM VILLAGE HALL

Sunday 11th January

3 – 4.30pm

Try Bellydancing!

All ages, shapes, sizes and abilities welcome.

Letham Park

It has been over 2 years since we started our project to improve the facilities in Letham Park and create a beautiful park shelter for all of our community to enjoy. We have had our fair share of problems with gas pipes and changes in finances but it now looks as if things will be starting soon. The project is being funded by Fife Council, The Secret Garden Outdoor Nursery and The North Howe Transition Toun, who are contributing £10,000 to the project from the Lottery. In total our community has now raised the £70,142 necessary to make the project become a reality.

Local architect Tom Morton has designed a stunning earth structure using ideas from our community consultations. This will be built by local earth building specialists Little and Davie who will be giving the community the opportunity to get their hands dirty and take part in a number of workshops. Details of these workshops will be made available over the next month.

A planning amendment is being processed at the moment covering the change in location to avoid the gas pipe, and updated design, and a decision is due to be made on 28 June. Once this has been confirmed the building work will start on the foundations of the shelter in July and the council hope to have the play equipment complete in Autumn of this year.

Click to enlarge

We will continue to keep the community informed of progress via www.letham.org.uk and at community council meetings.

revisedplan1revisedplan2The Letham Park group have forwarded plans and photographs for the new Park development. This equipment has been selected to appeal to a broad range of people across the community. Work was meant to be completed by June 2009 however two issues arose- the sudden realisation that the works would have ruptured the gas pipeline and that the shelter requires planning permission. It is therefore unlikely that the work will be finished this year. Revised plans are shown below and news on the plannng application and progress will be posted here.
I have also opened a forum topic to allow people to post their comments on the proposals.

I have also opened a forum topic to allow people to post their comments on the proposals or leave a comment on the section below.


Huck play equipmentexercise machines

Huck birds nest

1 25 26 27